Yoga offers an incredible range of benefits for men of all ages. Not only does the practice boast incredible stress-relieving qualities, but it can also help you lose weight, gain strength and muscle, improve work productivity and even enhance your sex life.
Yet, even with a long list of impressive benefits, a recent study in the U.S found that only around 28% of all yoga practitioners are men. If more guys could experience the incredible life-changing benefits of yoga, I'm certain that number would be much, much higher. So, if you're a man who's curious about starting a yoga practice, read on to find out why you should get started right now.
- More energy - one of the most common reasons men cite for not practicing yoga is that they are simply too tired to start. After working all day, driving kids here and there and dealing with other household chores and errands, it's no wonder most guys just want to collapse on the couch. But practicing yoga can actually help give you more energy throughout the day. The deep breathing techniques used in many forms of yoga will help oxygenate your body and naturally boost your energy levels. A study published in the Journal of Alternative Complementary Medicine found that after just 12 weeks of yoga practice, participants had significantly higher levels of Oxygen consumption (VO2max) than those who didn't practice at all. Not only does this mean more energy throughout the day, but also an improved ability to handle physical activity both during and after your yoga session.
- Increased flexibility - another reason many men don't practice yoga is because they feel too inflexible for it or believe it requires an advanced level of flexibility to begin with. In reality, anyone can do basic poses like downward dog or child's pose without any trouble at all! As you continue your yoga practice over time, however, you'll likely see yourself become more flexible as well as stronger in general - both physically and mentally.
- Improved breathing techniques - a lot of men are unaware of the fact that they're not breathing correctly throughout the day, which is more common than you might think. If you feel tired most of the time and often experience chest pains, it could be a sign that you're not taking in enough oxygen and need to work on your breathing techniques. Yoga can help with this by training your body to breathe through your diaphragm rather than just your chest. This will help you take in more oxygen and expel more carbon dioxide from your lungs, giving you a better sense of overall well-being.
- Stress reduction and management - if stress is something that affects you on a regular basis, then yoga may be an excellent way to reduce it and manage it better in the future. The slow-paced nature of most yoga poses coupled with deep breathing exercises is sure to get rid of any stress in no time at all! You'll also find yourself sleeping much better at night as well since stress tends to make us toss and turn throughout the night if we don't manage it well enough during the day.
- Weight loss and toning - one of the most popular reasons people turn to yoga is weight loss and toning. This is because yoga can be a great way to lose weight while still feeling great and eating what you want! You just need to make sure you're doing it right. Yoga can help you lose weight in a variety of ways, such as by helping your body burn more calories during your workouts, improving your posture and making it easier for you to maintain good posture throughout the day, and reducing stress which affects how much food you eat. It's also a great way to get rid of excess fat from certain areas like your stomach.
- Better sleep habits - did you know that proper breathing can really help with sleep? Many people breathe incorrectly when they sleep, which can lead to insomnia and other issues like night terrors or night sweats. Yoga can help with this by improving the quality of your breathing when you're at rest. This will also make it easier for you to fall asleep since better breathing means better oxygen levels in the blood stream and less carbon dioxide in the lungs, both of which are important for sleep!
- Stronger muscles - yoga can help you build muscle, which is great for your health and will also make it easier to lose weight. You can do this by adding more weight training to your yoga routine or by using a yoga exercise ball. With these simple additions, you'll be able to not only get rid of excess fat but also build muscle so that you look toned and fit!
- Better posture - good posture is very important for your health and well-being, but many people don't have good posture because they're often hunched over their computer or phone for long periods of time. This can cause back pain, shoulder pain, and even neck pain if the problem goes on for too long! If your body is in pain all the time it's going to be harder to lose weight because you won't feel as motivated to go out and exercise or do anything else. Yoga can help with this issue by improving your posture so that you feel better about yourself and are more motivated overall!
Published on Tuesday 21st June 2022 at 10:30